[at-l] Re: Southbound and trail names(was Bryson)

In a message dated 9/29/99 12:54:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tmcginnis@ucclan.state.in.us writes:

<< Why doesn't the trail see as many southbounders as
      northbounders? The reason is it's tougher >>

In what way is it tougher.  My own plans call for a southbound hike,
beginning at Abol Bridge and skirting GSMNP <if my dog don't go, I don't go>.
 I understand that the White's of NH are some of the ruggedest terrain on the
trail, and southbounders don't have the same amount of time to get in shape
for them.  Anything else I should consider?

Pete Wells
ME>GA 2011 (Ilike to plan ahead)

And while I've got your attention, let me ask what has to be a neophyte
question.  Do people come up with their own trail names or are they bestowed
by others, or some combination?  In my daily walks, I've spent some time
thinking about this.  Realizing that my current dog won't be with me when I
get around to thru-hiking, I've considered naming my next dog Wolf, so that
we could travel as "Peter and the Wolf."  Another, little more far out idea
involves sowing a cyclopian eye onto the front of a hat, and naming my next
dog King.  We could then sign into the shelter registers as "The King and
Eye."  Honest, I don't do drugs.