[at-l] Reasons for Quitting (or Hiking)---

Bristlecone and Others---

Several years ago, I met someone from the West Coast at a lunch stop at a shelter.  His comment was that, in many ways, the AT was just as hard as or harder than hiking Out West because, although it's not as high or precipitous, it's so humid, and that equalized the effort.

I section hike.  Some years have been great, some have been very frustrating (most of GA).  When I started, someone at the ATC office told us that we should start someplace really pretty, like the TN/VA border area.  I'm pig-headed and wanted to start at the starting place.  Last year, I swore that I'd never come back, "but before I do, I'm going to get new boots."  (I love the old ones, but they're tired.)  Now that I'm no longer working, I'm planning to do a several-week hike and see if I like that better.  For me, a lot depends on how well I've trained beforehand.  And, just about the time I've adjusted to the altitude, it's time to come home.  One time, we stayed out 10 days, and I got really good.  Usually, I struggle.  Many times, the thru-hikers act as though we're not there, no interaction at all.  I must admit, that hurts.  I've paid my dues to the ATC, in fact, I'm a life member now; I've spent lots of time out there; I've had all the requisite trail experiences; I have shelves and piles of trail and hiking books that I've read from almost daily for over 10 years; I want to retire along the trail so that I can be a trail angel to those who come behind me; and I have things to share.

So, all this talk about worthiness bothers me.  I think Bill Bryson as a thru-hiker sucked, but I don't have to invest in the book.  I borrowed it from the library.  Yes, the trail changes.  The area coming out of Sweetwater Gap that I sweated blood over has been overhauled, I hear.  But the mountains I've climbed are mine.  I own them, whether I've thru-hiked them or section-hiked them, or quit on top and hitch-hiked home.

Sorry, I've wandered afield, but I was beginning to get a nasty feeling about the interactions today.  Just had to share.  How can anyone just lurk?

Leslie