[at-l] Bill Bryson - WF - Full of BS as usuall.

I'm taking a bit of exception with all of the anti Bryson BS floating
around. Combined with all the "Purist" and "Traditional Thru-hiker Values",
this is beginning to sound more like a Pat Robinson convention than a hiking
list.

Since I believe I'm the longest time AT thru-hiker active on this list (AT
'77), perhaps you'll give me the benefit of the doubt about "Thru-Hiker
Values". Personally I don't have a clue what these values are or what the
term means. (Other than the obvious of "I'm better than you.", crap.)

Like today, years ago, some people used to skip sections of the trail, some
partied more than others. You know what, basically no one cared. Why? Well
for the most part there weren't enough of us to form little groups. For the
most part we were just glad to see someone else out there. It's hard to be a
snob when you're alone.

Now day's with hundreds and thousands of people on the trail. People are
spending far too much time judging other peoples hikes against their own. If
they hike to fast - BAD. If they hike to slow - BAD. If they skip - BAD. If
they don't take a dump the way we do - BAD. It's as if somehow God came down
an anointed us with co-equal status.

Should places along the AT close? If they don't like the clientele, yes.
Will the AT change? Yes. Popularity of the White Mountains gave rise to the
hated Huts. Do you not expect that increased traffic on the AT won't change
things there also? How many of you are asking the trail clubs to tear down
those three story Hilton shelter's and return to the old log ones. Who's
asking to reroute the trail back through the bogs?

The problem is most of us are pretty selective about what we consider is or
is not traditional about a thru-hike. My hike should be yours. Simply
because I'm not you. I find it particular disturbing when people responsible
for popularizing the trail, complain about changes that they are in large
part responsible for.

The AT isn't what it was 22 years ago. In many ways that's both good and
bad. But then it was a lot different then than when it was first thru-hiked
51 years ago.

As to Bryson, if you don't like his book write a better one. Since I haven't
read a thru-hikers book a tenth as interesting, I assume that a real writer
yet to thru-hike. Also consider that the AT belongs to all Americans and not
just a select few self appointed thru-hiker want-a-be gods.

Ron "Fallingwater" Moak