Re: [at-l] Bill Bryson

Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed Bryson's book as well - as soon as I realized it
was a ficticious account of ficticious characters out in the woods. It had
nothing to do with a thru-hike on the AT. The characters were made up, he did
not walk anywhere near the 800 miles he even claimed - at least from what I
could tell - and it upset me that he characterized the AT and thru-hikers the
way he did without really knowing anything about them.

Other than that, it was a very entertaining book. He is a good writer, and I
admire him for making the committed project book a reality, even when he
realized he would never actually be able to hike the trail. It takes a lot of
guts not to return your book advance and write the contracted book anyway when
you cannot continue the physical research.  My hat's off to him for a great job.

Besides, it got me some trail magic from people who would never have been out
looking for hikers to feed...

-Paddler