Re: [at-l] Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 11:25:45 -0400--alcohol stoves

In a message dated 9/23/1999 10:42:38 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
AT-L@fallingwater.com writes:

<< There are several sites on the internet with instructions for making
alcohol
 stoves. I don't happen to have them at the touch of my finger (maybe Wild
 Bill does).  >>

This is not for backpacking, but it is surely a great idea for carrying in
your car during the winter.  It was suggested by our former fire chief, who
also specified cracking the vehicle's windows an inch.

Get a 1 pound coffee can and stuff a roll of toilet paper with the cardboard
center removed in it.  Carry that and a bottle of rubbing alcohol plus some
matches in your trunk.  If you get in a situation in which freezing is a bit
of a threat, as in you slid off the road in a snowstorm, pour the alcohol in
the can, saturating the TP, and light up.

He suggested carrying extra TP and alcohol also, since it doesn't take up
much space and is usable for other situations as well.

Cheers.

Kinnickinic