Re: [at-l] the dreaded cell phone

I found it quite comical this year to watch people try and use cell phones on
the trail. One guy I met called his wife - or at least tried to - every day.
Most of the time I heard him he was apologizing for not calling year for the
past few days, since the phone didn't work from most of the trail.

I day hiker in the Whites actually threw his phone down on the rocks and broke
it after he apparently missed a trading deadline because the phone wasn't
working - very relaxed hike this guy had... not!

Cell phones made me laugh more than annoyed me on the trail this year. Most of
the thru-hikers carrying them were very discrete in their use. The weekenders
were the annoying with them however, and many had them on for incoming calls in
the shelters, etc. I asked one man to please "take it outside" when he received
his third call of the evening in a full shelter.

-Paddler