Re: [at-l] alcohol stoves

Interestingly enough, fuel for the stove was no problem whatsoever.

The supply I used most often was methanol based gas line antifreeze.
This is available from any auto parts store - even in Georgia - and
from most gas stations and many grocery stores. Just be careful you
don't use the petroleum based products. A 12 oz bottle is less than
$1. At one store down south, I had to get the clerk to check the
back room for the product as there was none on the shelf. They had
four or five different types when he looked, so it was no problem.

My second choice was denatured alcohol, most often available from
hostels or outfitters by the ounce. This is not a practical choice
for most people to buy at the hardware store, as it only comes in
large quantities. When buying from hostels or outfitters though, it's
usually sold by the ounce just the same as white gas.

My third choice would be isopropyl alcohol - and I never burned any
on the trail. This burns dirtier than methanol and not as hot. It's
available as rubbing alcohol or gas line antifreeze, but I was not
forced to use it.

I started out carrying a large fuel bottle with 21 oz capacity. I
switched to a 12 oz bottle later on and only had to fill it every
other week or so.  In really cold weather, I'm sure I would use more
fuel than I did. I cooked dinner and breakfast, but my dinners were
not simmered on the stove. I brought the pot to a boil and took it
off the store, "simmering" under a pot cozy made from a piece of
ensolite sleeping pad. This worked beautifully the entire trip and
I could get away with using less than an ounce of fuel a day.

-Paddler