Re: [at-l] the dreaded cell phone (nasty)

And not all that reliable insurance, given the distances from cell towers,
and interference from mountains, rocks and other clutter. As another hiker
mentioned, it can be a temptation that leads to other poor decisions, such
as failing to alert friends of schedule and hiking plans, bringing a
whistle or first aid gear, or other such foolishness. (I know I've never
done anything foolish in the woods!)

There was another question initially about the power of phones. There are
the usual tiny hand held cell phones, and bag phones or transportable
phones. The former has a fairly weak 3 V signal (if I remember correctly)
to avoid microwaving your brain excessively, as the antennae is aimed
straight for your temporal and parietal lobes. (I like mine toasted to a
golden tan.)

The larger phone has the antennae further from the handset, a larger
battery, and 9 V (I think). The bag phones are heavy as a brick, usually
with short life batteries, as they are usually designed for installation
and hardwiring into a car. There may be kits to boost the signal, but at
the cost of additional weight.

Heck, when we get into that many ounces, we might as well get really
controversial and discuss firearms and umbrellas!

Have we beaten this dead horse sufficiently, or must more pioneers perform
graveyard calisthenics?

OrangeBug
Atlanta, GA