Re: [at-l] RE: [BackpackingLight] Ham radios

Beau Bushor wrote:

> I also carry a Ham Radio while backpacking.  Getting your ham radio license
> is quite easy

I have been a ham for 47 years and hike for even more. There are times
when I wanted to do the "ham thing" from the backcountry at which times
the hiking serves the ham. However, if I want to go hiking I leave the
ham gear at home and enjoy the hike. I haven't found a way that the ham
radio serves the hiking--though I've tried it.

That it is easy to get a ham license, I agree. In fact it is much too
easy and has become another CB world exploited by those into consumer
electronics--the amateur part is gone.

Turtle