Re: [at-l] cell phones vs the Adirondacks

At 05:45 PM 9/21/99 -0400, Kenneth R. Knight wrote:
..clip..
>I no nothing of cell phones/pcs though except that they seem to be
>expensive and that they don't always work. How likely is it that a cell
>phone/pcs phone (whatever) is going to NOT work say when hiking in the
>Adirondaks
I don't know a lot about cell phones but I do have one that I take (in my truck) when travelling on business. It is large. My wife chose it (special deal where she works) because according to the sales rep the larger phone was "more powerful" so perhaps size is related to power. The one thing I can attest to is that coverage in the Adirondacks is very spotty. I live North of the Park and frequently drive through it when travelling on business. I've had NO (zip, zilch, nada) luck calling when in the ADKs. I have seen cell phones in use on summits ("You'll never guess where I'm calling you from") where the phone can 'see' a transmission tower due to the altitude. I felt like snatching it out their hand and flinging it off the cliff. I didn't.

I'm told by people who have them that GPS units don't work well in the ADKs either. Unlike the cell phone which needs to relay through land based towers (satellites are coming) the GPS uses satellites. It has to 'see' 2-3 to work and the forest cover interferes at lower elevations. Sooooo, in answer to part your question the ADKs are not a high tech friendly environment. Expect failure more often than success. Perhaps the AT is better because it traverses the ridges???