[at-l] flooded out in NC

Well, Hurricane Floyd was coming, so they closed schools here in
Winston-Salem. Floyd missed, and we ended up with a beautiful day (though
the eastern half of NC got slammed pretty good). So I took the afternoon
off, and we went out for lunch, went shopping, to the grocery store, etc.
We came home to find 2 inches of water in our house from a burst
washing-machine hose.

Well, there goes our planned hike this weekend.  :-(

If this has never happened to you, I hope it stays that way. The only thing
that I can think of that would be worse would be to come home to a pile of
ashes. We had to move all of our possessions out of the house as fast as
possible (lucky for that 2 car garage, eh?), then we rented a huge carpet
steamer/vac to try to suck up all the water. The disaster recovery folks
are coming out this morning to rip up all the wall-to-wall carpet and throw
away the padding (which apparently never dries). They hope to save the
carpet.

The funny part is, I called my dad to whine a little (just looking for some
sympathy, right?) He lives outside Philadelphia. Well, he's flooded, and he
doesn't have any power, so he can't even try to get the water up yet.
Needless to say, I didn't get much sympathy.

Well, I'm done whining now. I feel better, so thanks.

Cheers,

Ken