Re: [at-l] Roughly twenty years ago today.....

> Subject: [at-l] Roughly twenty years ago today.....

We hope those 20 years weren't too rough!

>      Saturday, September 11, 1999 was the twentieth aniversary of my hike

>      up Katahdin and my completion of the AT.

Wish I could say something like that ... But hey, 20 years ago this month
this gorgeous, blond, Argentine woman started saying Hi, Hello, Good Day,
Howdy, and all sorts of other greetings to me in all sorts of different
accents, in a library at Western Kentucky University ... I had at the time
no interest whatsoever in romance and no direction, but, thanks to her
persistence, we finally "met" and, some two years later, married.  She's
joining me this week-end for a one nighter to Jack's River Falls with
Alexandra, our youngest. Adriana works week-ends at REI and cannot join us.
And I'd not be honest if I didn't suggest that we haven't made it anywhere
near Katahdin yet, or that we wonder if its really there, but we're in it
for the long haul, and it's been a marvelous and varied trail with many ups
and downs, some steeper than others, some more memorable than others, and
some we'd just as soon forget, but the views, well, you have to hike this
long hike to see 'em, because I couldn't really describe them ....

>      And now it's twenty years later. What did I learn? ..........
>      And I
>      learned that in a struggle, even a potentially mortal one, stopping
>      kills. Going forward, going backward -- they're the same motion, and

>      may get you the same results. But stopping kills. Don't quit.
>
>      Have a really profound, life changing day, OK?
>      Sloetoe'79

Thanks Sloetoe .....

David