Re: [at-l] Third World First Aid Question

Again, newsprint, like most things, creates ash when burned. Ash is a base
and tends to cause an astringent reaction when placed on acid tissue.

The cleanliness of the fan blade was not too much of a problem. It wasn't
likely to harbor anything nastier than the floor, probably less as few
people spit on a fan. I think that the ash helped staunch the few remaining
bleeders, and this healthy well fed and immunized American dealt with the
bugs on his own.

Now, if the ashes were still hot and glowing, it is well known that you can
stop bleeding by burning and searing the bleeders. That was how amputations
were managed before this century, and how bleeders are managed in the OR
and ER today (usually with the patient numbed in some way).

Heck, salt in the wound would have worked as well, but probably would have
hurt worse.

OrangeBug