[at-l] Eureka! Eiger and JanSport Adirondack

     What? An equipment review?
     Hey, for variety's sake.

     Short Story:
     Eureka! Eiger (3800ci? @ 3.5 lbs.? $99 from Galyans [12 store chain])
     is a neat little pack idea -- which should have never made it into
     production. Suspension needs another go-round. Tight quarters for a
     20* synthetic bag, but would be great with a silk/fleece bag, with
     enough capacity for a summer week easy. Nice shoulder straps and hip
     belt (flimsy little things which worked just as wonderfully as the
     MountainSmith MountainLight suspension: the theory is to conform
     easily to the body with minimal padding, rather than "bulking up" as
     do most others). The problem with this pack is that the V-shaped stays
     concentrated the weight of the pack right on the spine in the small of
     the back -- to bad result no matter HOW lightly packed the bag. Dang!
     I really wanted to like this one. Good construction, intelligent
     features; keep an eye on Eureka!.

     JanSport Adirondack (5600ci? @ 4.75 lbs? $129 from Galyans)
     is an unreasonably great pack for the money, but no more comfortable
     than what I already have (in my 26 year old pvc frame with refitted
     hip belt and shoulder straps) and NOT as comfortable as my
     fitting-fave MountainSmith. But if I didn't have what I have, I'd be
     all over this 'un. LOT'S of capacity, more load control than the
     over-touted "Rockies" model, intelligent features *abound*, much more
     conventional "overstuffed" suspension padding design. I would make the
     hipbelt padding reach farther around to the front, but liked immensely
     the vertical sizing ability -- it would be nothing to adjust this pack
     hour by hour, if you cared to. Well constructed, too, considering its
     weight. Problem was it was only "just as comfortable" as my Betsy, and
     was not the Holy Packing Grail I know is possible. But in a pinch,...!

     Longer version:
     In 1974, I bought an Alpine Designs "Expedition" pack -- a pvc-framed,
     adjustable-height hipbelt wonder which is STILL the most comfy
     external frame pack I've ever strapped on. Strolled it all over
     Connecticut as a teenager, named it Betsy, then did the AT in '79,
     then basically hung it up. (Also, in October of '79, I borrowed a Lowe
     Expedition for a long weekend of bushwhacking in northern Wisconsin --
     and as loyal as I should have been to my Betsy, I immediately
     recognized the HUGE comfort improvement with the Lowe over Betsy.)

     Betsy now sports new shoulder straps (not hard to find) and hipbelt (a
     "special" design from Camp Trails discontinued a couple of years ago
     -- but HUGELY luckily, sporting the same height-adjustment straps of
     the 26+ year old A.D. design. Kelty also did something similar a
     couple of years ago, but it remains a hard piece to replace.) So the
     frame, back mesh, and pack bag have around 3100 miles on them, most
     before 1980, while the shoulder straps (circa '92?) and hipbelt (circa
     '95?) are much younger. But the packbag's seams are going to burst at
     any moment. Along with simply obtaining a new bag (and Hey! there's
     cheap!), I have considered new packs and home build. The home-build
     comes from joyous experience week-ending with a frameless 2800ci from
     JanSport.

     Of all the brand's I've tried, MountainSmith is consistently the one
     which just Poof! fits my back purrrrrfectly. Much like that Lowe felt
     back in '79. And to be clear, I have tried MountainSmith, Lowe,
     Gregory (ouch!), ArcTeryx (stiff!), Dana (stiff!), JanSport (ok!), K2
     (oh pain!), Kelty internals (not bad!), Kelty externals (sure.),
     NorthFace (heavy!), Eureka! (hmmmm!), and probably others that I'll
     think of later. One's that received intensive home trial included
     Dana, MountainSmith, JanSport, and now Eureka!. And I think I'm
     forgetting something....

     The desired outcomes of these trials are that the "winners" must be
     triumphant in handling expected loads (20 to 35 pounds), be survivable
     in superloaded conditions (40 pounds on bare skin), and allow for
     unfettered, separate access to sleeping gear and foodstuffs -- to
     allow for hiking AFTER dinner without having to dump all gear when
     stopping for the night, as you have to do with "topload only" packs.
     (Your alternative is to repack with sleeping gear on top of
     foodstuffs, etc; but this is NOT so comfy with lightweight packs which
     may depend on intelligent packing and the load *being* part of the
     suspension.....) The procedure at home involves loading subject packs
     with identical loads consisting of sleeping bag, foam pad, multiple
     fleece blankets, 25# bags of lead shot, and steel plates of various
     weights. The packs are then worn around the house, doing dishes,
     laundry, bills, vacuuming, etc, usually bare-chested wearing my hiking
     shorts. And yes, Datto, sometimes in my robe.

     What I want right now is a MountainSmith MountainLight 5000 (under
     $300, under 4#s, over 5000ci), in stealth decor -- not fire engine red
     -- with sleeping bag access, NOT topload only. This pack is WAY more
     comfy than my Betsy at anything less than 35 pounds, although it
     becomes a bit of a "rack" above 38 pounds. (I suspect the engineers on
     the list would have fun explaining precisely what happens at 38
     pounds; all *I* know is that it gives me real incentive not to
     entertain even an ounce more.) As the MountainLights only come in red,
     and only come topload, I'm out of luck, and thus aim towards the
     bag-only purchase or homebrew-frameless manuever.

     I know, "It's a big world." I'll find it.

     Sloetoe.