[at-l] Pedestrian Deaths

> > Americans are walking less, with only 5.4% of all trips made by foot in
> 1995, compared with 9.3% in 1977.

The missing element around here (metro Atlanta) seems to involve
intentional planning for automobiles rather than pedestrians. We get
reports now and again about pedestrian deaths from encounters with cars, a
recent one involving a young teenager driving the car. NO SIDEWALKS seems
the biggest problem in the Atlanta area. And no foot paths. I remember the
Chicago 'burbs having the "Prairie Path" -- a marvelous system of many
miles of trails, using old railroad right-of-ways to link a large number of
interesting destinations. I'd bicycle for miles out to Batavia and the
National Accelerator where I'd find a lonely spot in which to study ....

> i think the reason less and less  people walk is due to the fact that
> suburba is expanding... i live like 1.5 miles(not far) from the grocery
> store BUT it is not like you have paths up to there... it is all roads
and
> you end up walkgin with the cars for some of it

As I said, pedestrians get the raw end of the deal when politicians talk
about "transporation" issues. I would imagine OrangeBug, who lives in Cobb
county, could have some nasty things to say about Fulton county's dragging
their feet on widening Johnson's Ferry Road which narrows to two lanes from
four, after crossing the river from Cobb. I live across the river in Fulton
county, where most residents resent Cobb county's refusing to join the mass
transit club, and where people aren't interested in paving its land for the
convenience of people who will not compromise on mass transit. But those
arguments, which attract much local press attention, do not address the
lonely pedestrian, who has no representation, it seems, in political
circles People here seem more interested in punishing drivers who use cell
phones than considering the value of sidewalks for pedestrian safety.

We have these giant developments which encompass many acres of land which
are used for residential and business purposes. The designers leave a
perimeter of trees as part of the landscaping. I would hazard a guess that
many of these developments could use the perimeters between them for
walking trails. Now we're faced with an effort to take a county park and
turn it into a golf course. Ug.