RE: [at-l] Alcohol stove question (Jim Mayer???)

I have no good theory for how high the pot should be over the burner.  I
have a couple of heuristics though:

(1) It is really convenient if the stand fits inside your pot.  That kind of
puts a limit on how high the stand can be.

(2) Flames shooting up around the sides of the pot it make it hard to stir
the food, and are almost certainly a big waste of energy.

As Orangebug said, the perlite in some designs acts as a wick and provides a
larger burning area.  In the design I use, which is derivative of the
Trangia burners, the ring of fiberglass insulation around the outside of the
can acts as the wick.  The insulation is held in place by aluminum window
screen (Roy Robinson's innovation, I used a piece of aluminum cut out of an
oven liner originally).  Roy modified the design further by adding a hood
made from a 6 oz tunafish can.  The hood improves the airflow and increases
the heat output of the stove.  It really does work, but I've just been using
the burner recently.  It is smaller and works well enough for me.  I may
experiment with the hood again in the future though.

Roy's directions in the PCT-L digest are at:

	http://www.backcountry.net/arch/pct/9902/msg00082.html

He mentions that you can ask him for a JPEG picture.  I can send that to you
as well.  There used to be a web page but it hasn't been accessible for a
while.

Good luck.

-- Jim