Re: [at-l] Well, that was uncalled for...

In a message dated 9/10/99 6:41:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
OIdMaster@aol.com writes:

> Since you don't feel comfortable using our letter-writing system, but did
>  feel comfortable using the web to criticize it indirectly and possibly be a
>  negative influence on others, I have removed you from ATML to keep you from
>  having any more discomfort.

While it is true that a website owner may run his site any way he damn well
pleases, doesn't this give any of you dual listers the chills?  This is one
of the most totalitarian, Orwellian things I've read.  Don't you at some
point have to wonder if your participation in a list run in such a fashion is
a tacit approval of those tactics?

I had thought that I might renew my ATML subscription several months before
my thruhike in '01, but I don't wish to support such nonsense.  I'm no
wind-up automaton happy to think only regimented, approved thoughts.  I'm a
freethinker with an irreverent sense of humor.  I'll not shackle my mind or
personality to conform, no matter what the potential benefits.

Last month we had a spirited debate about the Saddleback issue which became
an interesting civics lesson about eminent domain.  What was most interesting
is that it was a passionate clash of competing ideas, for the most part
communicated civilly.  One didn't need to agree with a particular point of
view to learn something.  And one could respect someone, yet vehemently
disagree with the position he or she held.  All this was possible because
this is an unmoderated list where all are welcome to share their thoughts, to
agree, or to disagree.

I rarely agree with my friend Bucky Fuller, but I love the passion he brings
to any discussion.  Some on the list might be uncomfortable when extreme
positions are offered, but let me offer the following quote by a Pulitzer
prize winning historian that suggests that danger lurks elsewhere:

"History teaches us that it is not the rebels or the dissidents who endanger
society but rather the unthinking, the unquestioning, the obedient, the
silent and the indifferent."

Something you dual listers may wish to ruminate about.

Happy trails,

Solar Bear