[at-l] Hundred Mile Wilderness, Day 11

8/12/99    To day we Climbed the Big K.

    Up at 5 AM to get  ready for the Big K.  We moved our large backpacks
with valuables to the library near the ranger station as a precaustion.
Marshia asked us to do this to avoid the possibilty of theft by day visitors
to the park.  We left our sleeping  bags, sleeping pads and food bags in the
shelter to reserve our spots for tonight.
    By 7:00 PM we were heading up the AT toward Katahdin Stream Campground.
I converted the stuff sack of my sleeping bag into a day pack to carry my
extra clothing and food.  We managed to get messed up on the trails to
Katahdin Stream.  The AT and the Grassy Pond Trails both make the same
destination.  The Grassy Pond Trail has several white blazes because it used
to be the AT.  Grassy pound Trail is 3/10 of a mile shorter than the AT but
it goes through bogs on bridges that are in disrepair.  It took us longer
than we hoped to hike to Katahdin Stream Camp Ground.  About 7:45 AM we were
strolling the paved roads od the campground.  It is a beautifully maintained
area just as Daicey Pond.  But Daicey Pond has this spectacular view of Mt
Katahdin across the pond from the Library.  We used the out houses at
Katahdin stream that were new modern composting units made extra large to
accomodate the handicapped.
    We signed in on the register at the beginning of the Hunt Trail at 8:00
AM.  The trail up to Katahdin Falls was pretty easy but then the fun began.
First it was a steep dirt trail then we hit roots and rocks as well as steep.
 Pretty soon there were more rocks and less dirt and roots.  Then we reached
huge bolders.  Some were so tricky that rebar rods were installed in the rock
to get handholds and footing. After the bolders we ran into ledge.  We were
walking up a narrow ledge with a thousand foot drop on either side.  There
was fog and clouds all around with a 50 % chance of rain all day.  We worked
our way carefully and slowly enjoying every minute of the hike.  Taking in
what ever views we could sneak between the clouds.  We reached the Table
Lands about 1 PM.  This was still 2 miles from the summit.  But it was a flat
hike over rocks for about 1 mile.  Around the trail in this area were
magnificent alpine flowers and plants.  We passed the Thoreau Spring where
water was available but did not stop.  Then we headed up again.  Now there
were long streaches of steps made from rock slabs.  Some of the steps were
pretty tall but all were managable.  We continued up to the summit which was
in dense fog and clouds.  About 30 people were on top trying to get out of
the wind and layered up to keep warm in the 40 degree temperatures.
    We ate a lunch of gorp  and  powerbars and started down the mountain.
The clouds began to lift as we reached the Table Lands.  The visibility
continued to improve as we descended the mountain.  I took a fall from a
missplaced step and skinned my little knee.  Had to apply some new skin
liquid bandage to my own knee.  But since I was still hiking it did not heal
well.  By the time we reached the camp at Daicey Pond 5 hours later I had a
trail of blood from my knee to the top of my socks.  The Canadian Girls were
gone but they had been replaced by the Canadian Boys from the same camp.
    Katahdin is the toughest moutain I have ever climbed.  It is not taller
than Mount Washington.  The trail was about the same technical difficulty as
the Huntington Ravine Trail on Mt W.  But  there was 4000 feet of vertical
and it was spread over more miles.  I t was a longer hike and relentlessly
steep.  The scrambles were awsome.  The shape and size of the mountain
dominates Baxter State Park and the Hundred Mile Wilderness.  What a
wonderful way to end a hike.  It will be great to climb  the Big K again when
I do my thru hike.
    After a quick swim in Daicey Pond we cooked dinner and started to prepare
our packs for tomorrow.  The young lady looking for Leggs had convinced
Marsha to let her stay in the Thru hiker’s camping area.  She explained that
she had started hiking with leggs a month ago but got off the trail for a
week and was trying to meet her here.  Leggs had all of their shared
equipment.  Stove, pots, tent, spoon.  This girl had nothing to cook or eat
from or with.  She had not eaten but what had been given to her in several
days.  She was far from skinny but I’m sure hunger was taking its toll. The
Canadian boys offered her food.  John stayed up to watch the meteor shower
while I wrote in my journal.  Good night.