[at-l] Ga hike-Unicoi Gap to Woody Gap 2

* Message posted to AT-L from the National Scenic Trails Website
* by our guest Eric Cobbs <hikeboy@hotmail.com>.
* Please use <mailto:hikeboy@hotmail.com> to reply to the sender.

Sorry about the accidental send on my last e-mail.  Let’s try that again.

I met ORANGE BUG this weekend (labor day) by a pitiful spring south of blood mountain near Neel’s Gap in north Ga.  He told me about the list, and after lurking yesterday, I thought I would post on the water condition of the trail since the weather has been so dry.

Starting from unicoi Gap heading south to Woody gap I found scarce but adequate water.

At unicoi Gap – spring at blue mt. Shelter is okay. Chattahoochee  Gap. Chatahoochee spring is okay.  Horsetrough mt. – small sping crossing old rd. (5.6 miles from Unicoi) is okay.  We were told that there is water at the whitley gap shelter, but none at the hogpen Gap trail head.   We didn’t check the spring at rock spring top. Near Neels Gap.

At Neals Gap. – Slaughter Gap spring is dry.  Small spring south of woody gap is okay. (3.7 mi. south of Neels) Didn’t check Jarrard Gap.  Stream 8 mi. south of  Woody is okay.   Overall conditions are good for now.  ( we skipped streams to increase daily milage)

Also, in response to the Esbit posts.-  I used Esbit fuel in a home-maid stove/windscreen (vented tin can) this weekend.  I had no problems boiling 1 cup of water in a titanium sierra cup for my de-hydratrated  spaghetti. It only takes half a tab or so for this, then I just blow out the rest for later.  I cant stand the smell though.  This stuff is supposed to be non toxic, but it makes me gag.  I hate  to use this in an enclosed area,But you can’t beat the weight.  Stove plus 4 days fuel  at under 4 oz.

I’ll post my gear list after a looming deadline at work.

Hope I helped out someone with the info.

Hikeboy
Atlanta GA