[at-l] My Memories of Maryland

Here's what it was like for me this spring hiking in Maryland.
John O

Date: April 19, 1999

Travel From: Tumbling Run Shelters, PA

To: Devils Racecource Shelter, MD

Number of Miles Hiked On Appalachian Trail: 13.1 miles

Additional Miles: 1.5 miles

AM Weather: low 40's partly sunny and gusty wind.

PM Weather: 50's when sun out, when it was playing peek-a-boo in low 40's.
Some light showers.

Condition of Trail: Need I say it again? It was excellent. PA gave me some
boulder scrambling, some stiff ups and some
pesky rocks. MD surprised me as the trail followed the base of a good sized
boulder mountain for awhile. Then it assaulted the
boulders and it was a good climb. The old heart was pumping some warm blood
for awhile.

Breakfast: coffee, carnation breakfast and cereal

Lunch: Lipton dinner, carnation breakfast, coffee and bread

Dinner: carnation breakfast and coffee

Snacks: peanut butter sandwich, pop tarts, cheese crackers, cheese and candy

People I Met: Dog Tags, a northbound section hiker.

Animals: grouse, squirrels, chipmunks and many varieties of birds.

Notes of the Day: Around noon stopped at Deer Licks Shelters and took a
bath and washed clothes. I don't use soap, I just
sponge myself off and Indian style clean the clothes on rocks. It helps
some and I've always felt better after doing it. So I'll
continue to clean up this way on the trail. Today was interesting as I'm
excited about completing PA and sad at the same time.
In the next few days I'll meet up with one of my cousins. I hope she has a
head cold? My appetite is growing daily. My lungs
got some good workouts today. In about 200 miles I believe I'll be meeting
some northbounders. Looking forward to that. I
plan on going to Trail Days in Damascus, VA in mid May. Sitting at a picnic
table at a shelter and the light is setting in the west.
When I was approaching the Mason Dixon Line a tune was getting louder and
louder? If was the song DIXIE :-) That’s all for
now. Nite All.

Main Concern of the Day: That I’m not humming "When Johnnie Comes Marching
Home Again"