[at-l] Calories per ounce

Someone a few weeks ago asked if anyone had a listing of foods and their
calorie values.  I remembered saving such a list and promised to get the
original author's permission to reprint it on this list.  Lucian Hicks has
sent that permission and I am including the information below.

Lucian Hicks (mailto:lucian@sierranv.net) writes:

Calories Per Oz. Table

Introduction:  What follows is a table of miscellaneous foods sometimes
consumed while backpacking, showing approximately how many calories in each
ounce of that food.  Obviously, for long-distance backpacking, one would
like to have as many calories per ounce of carried weight as possible.
Therefore, the higher the number, the more "efficient" that food is.
However, I hasten to add the following caveats:

1. I've made no attempt to judge the foods in terms of "quality" of
calories.  Judging strictly from the table, carrying (and consuming)
nothing but olive oil (240 calories per oz.) appears efficient.  But one
must consider overall nutrition as well.   "Efficient" foods tend to be
high in fats and simple carbohydrates.  Our bodies need them, but our
bodies need other things too, such as protein, complex carbohydrates,
vitamins, minerals, and essential amino acids.
2. The given weights do not include packaging.  Some foods (e.g. Jiffy-Pop
Popcorn) generally have heavier containers than others (e.g. Ramen
noodles).   Adjust your strategy accordingly.
3. Many of the foods listed can be made more caloric by preparing the food
as instructed on the package and adding, for example, margarine and milk.
(Kraft Mac & Cheese is a good example) The calories listed here do not
include those extras.  In other words, the information contained here is
for the food "as packaged" and does not include any additions.

Food - Calories Per Oz.

Tuna (in spring water) - 30
Tuna (in oil) - 52
Canned Smoked Oysters in Oil - 55
Spam - 85
Canned Chicken in Water - 40
Deviled Ham Spread	 - 80
Corned Beef Hash - 49
Beef or Chicken Bullion - 40
Ramen Noodles - 124
Hummus (prepared) - 47
Cooked Ham - 50
Ballpark Franks - 90
Summer Sausage - 95
Turkey Bacon - 70
Pork Bacon - 140
Polska Kielbasa (Pork) - 95
Turkey Kielbasa - 45
Canadian Bacon	 - 30
Beef Jerky (Store-Bought) - 80
Turkey Jerky (Store-Bought) - 80
Pepperoni -130
Bagels - 74
Roman Meal Bread - 70
Sour Dough English Muffins - 61
Corn Tortillas - 67
Flour Tortillas - 89
Pita Bread (White) - 74
Nabisco Aircrisp Cheese Nip Crackers - 125
Rold Gold Fat Free Pretzels - 100
Dry Roasted Peanuts - 160
Mixed Nuts - 170
Cashews (shelled) - 170
Cocktail Peanuts - 170
Sunflower Seeds (shelled) - 170
Cheese & PB Crackers - 140
Jiffy-Pop Popcorn - 135
Goldfish Crackers - 135
Pringles	 - 170
Fritos Corn Chips - 160
Nacho Flavored Doritos - 140
Ruffles Potato Chips - 160
Fried Pork Rinds - 175
Lays Potato Chips (plain or BBQ) - 150
Ritz Crackers - 158
Wheat Thins - 140
Triscuits - 135
Saltine Crackers - 120
Melba Toast	 - 100
French Fried Onions - 180
Cracker Jack - 120
Hershey's Milk Chocolate - 152
Hot Cocoa Mix - 115
Sugar-Sweetened Lemon Drink Mix - 107
Sugar-Sweetened Kool-Aid - 98
Snickers Bar - 136
Milky Way Bar - 135
Butterfinger Bar - 132
Baby Ruth Bar - 132
Reese's PB Cup - 157
Peanut M&Ms - 147
Plain M&Ms	 - 140
Hershey Kisses - 151
Jelly Beans - 95
Almond Roca - 163
Chocolate Covered Doughnuts - 135
Powdered Doughnuts - 120
Little Debbie Fudge Brownies - 124
Little Debbie Cream-Filled Cupcakes - 113
Little Debbie Nutty Bars - 152
Oreo Cookies - 136
Chips Ahoy Cookies - 150
Fig Newtons - 100
Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips - 140
Instant Rice (e.g. Minute Rice) - 102
Nonfat Dry Milk - 98
Nondairy Creamer Powder - 140
Wheat Chex - 101
Corn Chex - 103
Cheerios - 103
Maple & Brown Sugar Instant Oatmeal - 98
Quick Cook Oats - 100
Quick Grits - 98
Quaker 100% Natural Cereal - 129
Trix Cereal - 115
Grape Nuts - 100
Corn Flakes	 - 100
Cap'n Crunch - 112
Raisin Bran - 92
Pop Tarts (Frosted Brown Sugar & Cinnamon) - 117
Pop Tarts (All Other Flavors, Frosted or Non) - 108
Cheese Whiz - 83
Velveeta - 90
Blue Cheese - 110
Brie Cheese	 - 90
Camembert Cheese - 90
Longhorn Cheese - 110
Monterrey Jack Cheese - 110
Sharp Cheddar Cheese - 110
Grated Canned Parmesan Cheese - 110
Cream Cheese - 100
Chex Mix (prepared per box directions) - 130
Jello Instant Chocolate Pudding - 100
Fortune Cookies	 - 103
Marshmallows - 90
Fruit Roll-Ups (Store-Bought) - 100
Gainers Fuel 1000 (Protein/Carbo Powder) - 100
Power Bars - 100
Clif Bars - 100
Quaker Chewy Granola Bars - 110
Balance Bars - 112
Nutri-Grain Bars - 106
Bud Light Beer - 9
Coffee or Tea - 0
Lipton Rice & Sauce	 - 102
Lipton Noodles & Sauce - 116
Kraft Thick & Creamy Macaroni and Cheese - 102
Kraft Original Macaroni & Cheese - 104
Instant Potato Flakes - 98
Pasta Roni - 100
Rice A Roni - 95