RE: [at-l] AT-L CREW

> Shelters, privies and wells are expensive for sure. What about putting
> pvc into some of the springs that are often mud holes? On a few occasion,
> I've thought that a pipe could be run up hill and secured with rocks.
> Flexible "black pipe" might be better material. A 100' roll is about $50.
> We can rise that much. Hopeful

Unfortunately almost any "improvement" to natural springs make it a "public
water supply". Most places that means a full regime of monthly/yearly water
testing. I think you can get away will a little careful rock placement but
not much more.

$10,000 for a shelter sounds very high. We have done several in the
$2,500-$3000 range and would have been less if we could get timbers on site.
It is not necessary to build three story mansions with hot showers. The
major purchases are a few bags of cement for piers (rocks may work depending
on location), roofing and nails. If you have to buy timbers that ups the
price considerably. Many lumber companies will donate or sell at cost. It
takes a little creative arm twisting.

We have also drilled two wells. The quote was about $2500 each but we wound
up paying more like $3500 because the Davis/Bacon Act requires that Federal
projects pay the going rate for which there are tables. I am sure the costs
are a strong function of well depth. Ours were about 100 ft.  ATC funded
these wells. Wells are a pain for volunteers because of the required testing
but some places there is no choice for water supplies.

Privies are relatively cheap. Recently priced at Home Depot, $375
(everything but the toilet paper). Of course you can spend MUCH more if you
go the Clivus Multrum route or other high tech varients. All the high tech
ones need almost weekly visits by a volunteer.