Re[2]: [at-l] Hundred Mile Wilderness, Day 5

These are just great Art!!!!! More More More <g>

     Sloetoe joins in:
     Art commented about Kafka's general efficiency of method and motion...
     I remember hiking in '79 with another Connecticut native named Karen
     Niven. She was repeating her '76 hike, and was a wonder -- even three
     years later -- to watch. I studied her all through middle Virginia (I
     think) and did my best to emulate her. She was an 'up-and-out in 30'
     person too, and never moved any faster than anyone else.....

     I remember too being in the Wilderness, camped on a piney little ridge
     above that big lake where you get that famous beautious veiw of
     Katahdin...There were 2 section hikers camped 100' away, setting
     things up when I walked in soon after sunset. I was in bed (with
     dinner) before it was fully dark; they were still going at it long
     after I was down to sleep. Same thing in the morning: their
     camp-breaking woke me up; I arose and was swinging on my pack (with a
     hearty breakfast) as they were cleaning up.....I was wondering "What's
     *taking* those guys so long????"

     And full circle department: My guess is that right now, working as
     fast as I possibly could, I couldn't get out of camp in under an
     hour...I wonder how long it would take to recover that
     throughhikerness finesse?

     Sloetoe