Re: [at-l] PUR Hiker vs. Polar Pure

You raise the perfect questions. I carry both. I carry the Hiker exactly
for the ability to drink immediately. I carry the Polar Pure in the
expectation that the Hiker will break. I believe in having a back up for
something as important as water. The Polar Pure is ideal as it simply
cannot go bad the way iodine tablets will in just a few months.

The thermometer on the Polar Pur should let you know how many caps of
solution to add to water for treatment in 20 minutes. The thermometer on my
bottle feel off on the first outing. The colder the water, the more iodine
you need to get purification. A fair compromise is 3 caps, regardless of
the temperature if you have any jacket or windbreaker on. Giardia is the
reason to wait for a full 20 minutes, as it is the toughest to kill. Most
everything else is dead within 5 minutes. Polar Pure has a very useful
information sheet in each box.

In any case, you need to determine the amount of water you should carry for
your comfort level. Some people carry several liters, others far less.
There are some long sections of the AT (particularly after Hightower Gap)
where water is simply not found. I keep an emergency liter of Gatorade to
build my confidence, and to bail me out when I'm overconfident.

OrangeBug
Atlanta, GA