Re: [at-l] Beating a Dead Horse with Poles

Sure, the points damage the trail. Your boots also damage the trail. You
will notice that the trail is a well worn rut due to the damage and erosion
our feet make as we amble along.

I have used both the rubber tips on my non-shock absorber and non-ergonomic
REI poles, and carbide tips on my shock absorbing and non-ergonomic Leki's.
Both worked, but the rubber wears out fairly quickly to expose the carbide
tip. I have not found a particular benefit with the shock absorber, nor a
particular penalty for the non-ergonomic handle. Properly used, you don't
use the handle much - you depend on the strap. I would pay more attention
to the strap and its comfort than any other component of the pole.

If your Significant Other would feel that your carbide tips were destroying
the trail, I'd consider the rubber tips. Sometimes a shared delusion is
better than nothing shared at all!

OrangeBug
Atlanta, GA