Re: [at-l] Thinking about others

> It's in consideration of the rights of others that I am opposed
> to the taking of Saddleback. You know, the Golden Rule and all
> that.

It's in consideration of the rights of individuals that we have more
constitutional protections against government taking of property than is
available in any other country. In addition to the public purpose and fair
price limitations, when the two sides can't reach an agreement on either
limit, they go to court to resolve the issue. Elsewhere the gov't just
rolls in the tanks or uses some other subtle means to rid themselves of the
thorn in their intentions. The law still calls it a "taking" (but not
theft) but the taking happens pursuant to legal process by which everyone
interested gets to test exactly what public purpose and fair price mean
before "impartial" fact finders. In consideration of the rights of others,
one would think, you'd show a greater interest in seeing due process happen
according to the constitution, rather than according to your or my or
anyone else's personal opinions or descriptions about eminent domain.

> How can you expect others to respect your rights if you don't
> respect theirs?

Imperfect and unjust, the US Constitution has survived longer than any
other precisely because it made and makes (the history of slavery
notwithstanding) the greater effort to respect the rights of all
individuals.

> (slaps forehead) Oh yeah, I forgot. Might makes right.

I think you should spend some substantial time in Lybia, North Korea, or
China voicing  and publishing your concern for the prisoners of religious
and political conscience ... and I don't mean by email. You will, maybe
after 10 or 15 years of hard labor in return for your efforts on their
behalf, return  to the USofA reeducated in the subtle distinctions between
the rule of law and the rule of might and the role of personal ethics under
both political systems.