Re[2]: [at-l] The world a viewshed

     I'm enjoying the discussion, and I know it started as a concept
     oriented discussion, but it is tending toward "the applied" -- so I
     have to toss a couple of thoughts in regarding electric lines:

     Overhead lines are less expensive (by about 1/15th the cost) to build
     than underground lines.

     Overhead lines require less maintenance year to year (by 1/2)

     Overhead lines last longer (by a factor of two, or more)

     Overhead lines are safer (but this may be a matter of experience, too)

     Because of all this, overhead lines are here to stay. That said, the
     difference between a neighborhood with buried lines and a neighborhood
     with overhead lines, to me, is just like the difference between
     Vermont (strict signage/viewshed controls) versus New Hampshire
     (commercial signs gone amuck).

     Oh well.
     Sloetoe
     (A Vermont kind of guy)