Re: [at-l] a beginners running question=?

Subject: [at-l] a beginners running question=?US-ASCII?Q?=3F?=
Author:  dkiefer@jjg.com (Kiefer; David) at ima
Date:    8/27/99 10:35 AM

Running with cycling is the next best   thing to prepare for a hike other than
hiking itself.

It is true that you will work some different muscles, but the "big ones"   will
be in shape.

David

Sloetoe wheezes in:

     If we're voting via posts, I think the score is half-a-dozen
     "Running isn't good prep for hiking" against one (me) "Running is
     marvelous prep for hiking." None the less, I doth protest:

     1) The "Runner's who hike start out too fast and end up injured." I
     contest on two counts: first, we don't hear from the runners who
     don't get injured; second; runners get injured from running *lots*
     more than they do from engaging in other activities -- like hiking.
     If you don't believe me, email me your fax line and I'll send you
     my running log for the past few years. Injury is just a step away.

     2)Running's aerobic requirements are far beyond hiking's
     requirements, so even a small amount of running will juice your
     cardio-vascular for other activities -- including hiking. I think
     we all agree on that one anyway. But the implication is missed: you
     don't need to run focused on endurance to benefit your hiking.

     3) Hiking/backpacking is an activity which takes strength first,
     and endurance second. Running slow/long takes endurance, running
     fast/short takes strength. Most of us take "running for fitness" to
     mean slow/long when, for hiking, we should be running fast/short.
     If you don't think your running is getting you in shape for hiking,
     whip a little speedwork in there. Run some hill repeats and the
     occasional 10x400. Play soccer (sprint/trot/sprint/trot).

     ===>>If you want to train running-wise for hiking, train to be a 5k
     speedster, not a marathon plodder. Frank Shorter said "Hills are
     speedwork in disguise." The inverse is also true: Speedwork is a
     hill in disguise.