Subject: GMM'99: Epilogue....
Author:  Thomas McGinnis at UCCLAN
Date:    7/20/99 11:21 PM

     If I'd known that the Grandfather Mountain Marathon was as hard as all
     that, I NEVER would have run it. Maybe....

     Epilogue.....
     So Kathy crosses the finish line and I hang a finisher's medal on her,
     and she mouthes something like "Well, I'm not EVER doing something like
     this EVER again!" I'm crushed. She doesn't mean it, does she?

     In a nanosecond, I figure "Hold on, give her a minute." And after 15
     minutes or so, when she's giving her husband a post mortem, the phrasing
     goes like "It was so hard! Like nothing else! I'll never be afraid of
     any "hill" again! Boston -- pooh! Didn't train on enough hills!" (And
     then she said) "NEXT time I'll know better how to train for this. (And)
     NEXT time, we'll blah blah blah." The transition took maybe an hour, but
     by the time I left on Tuesday, she was looking at nearby White Oak
     Mountain and the Saluda Grade (I-26) with GMM in her eye. She said "Next
     year, I want 04:00 hours and masters' winning hardware!" I believe her.

     The course was hard, to be sure, but as we drove the course in a car, in
     both directions, I couldn't help but think "If I'd known it was THIS
     hard, I NEVER would have run it!"