[at-l] High Point, NJ on holiday weekend (?)

At 09:01 AM 8/26/99 -0400, you wrote:

>Hi folks.  I have some logistical questions that could probably be best
>answered by a NY/NJ guidebook.  But I can't find one of those in town, so I
>though I would plea for info from the list and promise to buy a guidebook the
>next chance I get.
>
>Most of the questions involve High Point State Park.  If someone has the
phone
>number to the park office, I could ask the "officials" directly.  Otherwise:
> * Can I park a vehicle in the park for 2-3 days?
> * Where should I park and is there a charge?
> * Should I expect huge crowds at the AT shelters over the upcoming holiday
>   weekend?  (I'll bring a tent; I just don't want a mob scene.)
> * Are there any logistical changes (closed shelters, no water, that sort of
>   thing) since 1997?
>
>My other less important question is:
> * I know it's less than 10 miles from NJ 23 to Vernie swamp, but can
>somebody give me an exact mileage?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>Dan "Focus" Grossman
>GA->PA96
>PA->ME97
The AT was closed to all except thru hiker a few weeks ago due to draught
emergency.  We've had rain lately so I'm not sure if restrictions have been
eased?
Here's info on High Point State Park from NJ web site:

http://www.nj.com/goingout/placestogo/parks.html

                         High Point State Park
                         14,193 acres
                         1480 Route 23
                         Sussex 07641
                         Sussex County
                         (973) 875-4800
                         Hours
                         Dawn to dusk.
                         Office - Summer hours: 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Winter
hours: 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
                         Fees
                         Entrance fee charged from Memorial Day weekend to
Labor Day.
                         Attractions
                         Appalachian Trail, Stokes State Forest and the
Delaware Water Gap
                         National Recreation Area. High Point Monument -
dedicated to the
                         memory of NJ's wartime heros. Small fee charged
for admission. Dryden
                         Kuser Natural Area - 1327.
                         Facilities and Activities
                         Bathhouse, cross-country skiing, fishing, food
concession, limited hunting,
                         hiking, horseback riding, ice skating, ice
fishing, mountain biking, nature
                         trails, picnic tables (grills or fireplaces
provided), playground,
                         snowmobiling, supervised swimming (Lake Marcia),
visitor's center.
                         Accommodations
                         Campsites:
                         50 tent sites (no trailers) along Sawmill Lake
with fire rings and picnic
                         tables. Flush toilets, showers, and laundry
facilities within walking
                         distance. Open April 1 through October 31. Fees:
$10 per night.
                         Group Campsites:
                         3 group campsites, accomodates 15, 25, or 50
people. Drinking water, pit
                         toilets. Open April 1 through October 31. Fees:
$.75 per person per night.
                         Cabins:
                         2 cabins with furnished living room with
fireplace; 3 bedrooms - one room
                         with double bed, two rooms with twin beds; kitchen
with hot and cold
                         running water, electric stove, refrigerator;
bathroom with shower, toilet,
                         and sink. Electricity. Cabins are located on
eastern shore of Steenykill
                         Lake. Each accomodates 6 people. With prior
permission from the
                         superintendent, 2 additional people may be
accommodated. Cabins are
                         open from May 16 to October 14. Fees: $42 per
night, $294 per week.
                         Group Cabin:
                         Living room with wood stove, full kitchen, two
bunk rooms with double
                         bunks, and bathrooms with showers. Accommodates up
to 28 people.
                         Open may 16 through October 14. Fees: $100 per
night.

I would anticipate crowds any where during a holiday weekend.

 I know it's less than 10 miles from NJ 23 to Vernie swamp, but can
>somebody give me an exact mileage?

According to trail guide book its 7.1 miles

John O

       http://www.monmouth.com/~johno/index.html