Re: [at-l] October trip planning

In a message dated 8/26/99 8:17:31 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
thornel@ibm.net writes:

<<  Currently, I'm considering flying into Dulles (the
 previous Saturday 10/16), getting a ride to a reasonable trailhead and
 walking down to Waynesboro, VA, where we plan to stay for Parent's Day. I
 would like suggestions about where I should start (assuming leisurely 10
 mile 5-6 hour days and moderate fall weather). I understand the terrain is
 not as challenging as North Ga, but that Skyline Drive can be quite
 challenging. >>

I think you'll find hiking the AT through the Shenandoahs a little sterile
and much easier than Georgia.  A much more scenic (and somewhat strenuous)
hike would be doing the AT north into Waynesboro from Rt. 60 (approximately
53 miles).   Along this section of trail you'll pass over Cold Mountain
(actually Cole, a fantastic bald), Tar Jacket Ridge, do a short side trail to
Spy Rock, The Priest (don't forget the overlook) down to  the Tye river to
climb Three Ridges, then it's all downhill into Waynesboro!  It's a great
section of Trail.

Hope that helps,  Sly