[at-l] October trip planning

Well, college children and football each have ways of changing one's plans.
I had hoped to skip the Clemson opener against Marshall, and go hiking
between Woody Gap and Dick's Creek Gap over the Labor Day weekend. FSU and
Clemson 10/23 was not to be missed, as it is the fabled Father v. Son
football battle (as a psychiatrist, I can assure you it is significant).

But my 21 yo daughter blinked her blue and teary eyes to learn that I would
not be coming to Charlottesville for her last Parent's Day festivities (as
if she wanted us there before). Hence, I missed Clemson/UGA for my mother's
75th birthday, and I'll miss the first Bowden/Bowden battle this year, in a
lame attempt to be a good daddy.

I'm attempting to find a way to salvage something of benefit from this
change of plans. Currently, I'm considering flying into Dulles (the
previous Saturday 10/16), getting a ride to a reasonable trailhead and
walking down to Waynesboro, VA, where we plan to stay for Parent's Day. I
would like suggestions about where I should start (assuming leisurely 10
mile 5-6 hour days and moderate fall weather). I understand the terrain is
not as challenging as North Ga, but that Skyline Drive can be quite
challenging.

Any ideas from the list?

OrangeBug
Atlanta, GA