Re: [at-l] My Year 2000 Springer Pack List

In a message dated 8/21/99 11:50:07 AM EDT, lparker@cacaphony.net writes:

<< Comments on Datto's pack changes:

 I missed your initial total weight so keep this in mind when reading my
 comments,

 > Pee Bottle (odd section shape or size so can find
 > by feel in the middle of the night)

 Leave it, get used to doing this before you go to bed. I can only remember
 once in twenty years of hiking when I HAD to go in the night, so I got up
 and went. Not worth the weight...

**** Not everyone's pee habits are the same. If you need to pee at night, go
pee on a tree.

 > Weather-resistent radio (vs the one I have
 > included already)

 Leave it. Learn to read the weather...

****He didn't say a weather radio. Put the one you have now an a zip-lock bag.

 > Use mesh hang bag in lieu of pretzel cans for
 > food container

 Good idea, definitely lighter...

 ****If you hang your food from a tree and it rains everything is WET. Use a
water proof bag or a trash bag over the mesh bag.

 > Buy a Nomad Long, drop the Eureka Gossamer

 This really depends on your style, if you plan on tenting a lot, I think I
 would carry MORE tent not less, I like the Slickrock, at 4 lbs, it makes a
 great one man tent. If you plan on mostly staying in shelters, forget the
 tent entirely and use that Mylar sheet you mention later...

****The Mylar emergency blankets do not hold up very long.

 > Drop Z-Rest seat, use the mylar blanket if needed

 Use the sheet...

****Sit on a rock.

 > Drop the piece of foam rubber pillow, get used to
 > using the Puffball jacket as the only pillow

 If you MUST have a pillow consider one of the inflatable ones, the Puffball
 jacket will not be with you for very long, and I personally hate stuffing
 clothes into my stuff sack...

**** You could use a water bag for a pillow. Blow some air into it.

 > Return to an Esbit stove, drop Whisperlight (I
 > don't have a crew back home so fuel might be a
 > problem for me, plus the Esbit hasn't really
 > worked well for me in the wind of early Spring
 > but I'm still considering it)

 Fuel for the Whisperlight is available practically everywhere along the
 trail, of course it is heavier than the Esbit, your choice of course...

****Keep the whisperlight

 > Use Polarpure or Safewater In-line filter instead
 > of Pur Voyager

 I haven't found that the in-lines are much use on extended trips. They are
 great for day trippers though. I ALWAYS carry chemical purification, even if
 I am carrying my MSR. I earned a very strange look and comment from a Ranger
 in the Smokies when he observed me dumping Polar Pure tabs into already
 FILTERED water, I just pointed to the outhouse which was located about sixty
 feet directly above the water source...

 > Reduce the amount of food

 I have found that I almost ALWAYS carry too much food...

****Start out with 3 or 4 days supply of food. If you have someone dropping
you off. Go by Neels Gap and drop off a resupply of food. Most of the
thru-hikers eat less then planned on for about the first week of their
thru-hike. After that it is more food.

 > The nylon pants and fleece pullover will be worn
 > on April 1st so leave that weight out of pack
 > weight

 Although it does still get cold after April 1 (we had an ice storm at
 Springer on March 31 this year), I never wore any of my cold weather gear
 except my thermals after the first day, and mailed it all back from
 Walasi-Yi...

**** The last time I looked at my calendar, it show that March 31 was before
April 1.

 ****STOP THE PRESS'. Keep your cold weather gear until you get to
Pearisburg, VA. On both my northbound thru-hikes have had cold weather down
to the upper 20's until late May. On May 24, 1992, had about 3 inch's of snow
and temp. in the upper 20's on Mt Rogers, VA.

Wildbill
GA-ME 89
GA-ME-GA 92-3