Re[3]: [at-l] Eminent domain

     Yet another great post, Kahley.

     Since I've responded so much as being in favor of the Saddleback
     protection idea, I feel I need to respond here, if briefly, just to be
     fair.
     1) Overall, I agree with everything you wrote.
     2) The "I WANTS" would probably give me the absolute creeps too, if
     I'd read them. I guess I'm lucky to not know what they say.
     3) Nobody lost their home to build the AT; it was routed *by*
     volunteers on land *volunteered* for the route. What changed things
     was, after 40-some years, and increasing development, and decreasing
     alternatives, the AT was recognized as an experiment which deserved
     more than just a passing "ok" to exist -- so it got the National
     Trails Act (1969?) and finally, the actual start of *protection*
     (1978?). Still, it was the granting of protection, and the hints and
     beginnings of actual action which got the mountain folk riled,
     reminding them of heavy-handed highway constuction projects of years
     gone by -- Does that hellious expectation sound familiar? Like what
     you're family (and especially your dad) went through?
     4) BTW, one of the losses to the routing of the current AT is the much
     greater contact with people/houses/ways of life which it previously
     had. In '79, as a rather untraveled teenager, I went from Georgia to
     Maine looking agog at the communities I was passing through as much as
     looking at the woods, and I think that the reroutings of the Trail
     away from such contacts (mostly through the mid-1980s) is a great loss
     to the trail experience. I *would* be more averse to a taking if it
     was someone's home instead of someone's business -- unless (to be
     fair) they had it for sale prior to the expression of federal
     interest.
     5) BTW II, what you wrote of your family's impact was really gripping.
     I, too, was in that position -- for only eight months -- and I had to
     fight City Hall and win. On my own. Even changed the law that was used
     to attack my property. I also lost the ability to vacation for eight
     months, and lost the time that was to go to finishing the outside of
     my property -- an issue in my divorce. I can only try to imagine
     twenty five years of it.
     6) Point number 1 bears repeating: I agree with everything you wrote.

     Sloetoe