Re: [at-l] Eminent domain

Sharon Sharpe wrote:

"I believe that trail corridors can be had without
>government strongarming of the local landowners"

So does the ATC.  At their website, www.atconf.org, see the info on the AT
Corridor Land Trust.  It fosters purchase, as it becomes available, of
properties along the Trail or in its viewsheds by people* who want to
preserve their land, or let it reforest, or leave it to the critters, or
keep on farming it, etc.

* individuals or groups -- including retirees, towns, lumber companies,
counties, researchers, schools, states, farmers, national park/forest
entities, scout groups, vintners, hunting/fishing clubs, beekeepers, etc.

Yeah, beekeepers.  I recently bought some honey at a local farm market from
one whose bees "work" the locust trees in the woods up along the Trail near
Harpers Ferry.  He's very concerned about changes in land use that are
crowding his livelihood.

The piecing together of the Trail is still going on, and it's no simpler
than it ever was.  If any of you would rather be the owner and protector of
Trail corridor/viewshed land rather than letting, say, a suburban housing
developer buy it, e-mail bwilliams@atconf.org and say so.  It's a free
country ... :)

jpjane