On community, was Re[2]: [at-l] Saddleback

Subject: Re: [at-l] Saddleback
Author:  "Bucky" <mfuller@somtel.com> at ima
Date:    8/20/99 6:46 PM

     <snippage>
Gee Tom, why are you sorry?
     ***The Toe Speaks: Because "community" increases as its members
     increase -- that's the essence of it, even.

Why do you care whether I'm part of your community?
     ***The Toe Speaks: You in particular? Well *all* are important. See
     above.

You don't even know whether I'm a tax drain. :) :)
     ***The Toe Speaks: Nor do I mention or imply that you're a tax drain.

>                                "Community" as a concept extends beyond
>      what we can see and touch.

How convenient for those who lust after another's that can be
seen and touched.
     ***Hmmm. The Toe scratches his head on this one, then Speaks:
     "Community" is the sense of coming together "in common" -- as in a
     settlement, in a village, in a city, and even in a state or region or
     country whose denizens don't necessarily bop around "doing community,"
     but who carry the mindset that the society/community they are in
     extends beyond what is right there before them, to a larger circle, to
     a connectedness with like-minded individuals whom they may never meet.

     Hmmm. Sounds a lot like the at-l, eh there Bucky-boy? Like-minded
     individuals who've come together *as a community*. Whoa. And here's
     news, dude: YOU'RE a part of it.

     Certainly, we'd be less without you here.

     So there.

     Put THAT in your pipe and smoke it.

     Sloetoe
     (who really means it)