Re[2]: [at-l] Saddleback

Subject: Re: [at-l] Saddleback
Author:  "Bucky" <mfuller@somtel.com> at ima
Date:    8/20/99 12:30 PM

     <snippage>
Isn't anyone here disturbed by the use of eminent domain for
the sake of frigging "viewshed?" Isn't anyone disgusted by
the naked greed exhibited in many of the letters being sent
via trailplace?

I guess not.

--
mfuller@somtel.com; Northern Franklin County, Maine         $
The Constitution is the white man's ghost shirt.  }>:-/> --->

     Sloetoe responds to Bucky's cry from the window with:
     (Keeping it short)
     Even Thoreau (who reparaphrased Jefferson with "That government is
     best which governs *not*at*all*."), saw the need for taxes when
     voluntary contributions would not cover what all would have the
     opportunity to benefit from (because of "free riders"). And so we pay
     taxes, to minimize the costs of collecting from the skin flints.

     Paying taxes, I expect something for my money. National defense comes
     to mind, but in the immediate case, so does national heritage. The
     Zapruder film was monetized at $16,000,000. The search for JFKjr,
     which they finally admitted involved more than what would have gone on
     for Joe Blow, cost the country probably more. And Saddleback, too. But
     they're all three "national heritage."

     It seems you're unwilling to grant that you live in a nation, a very
     large *community*, which would attach such meaning and value to such
     programs or people as these, whether you agree with such choices or
     not, and I'm sorry about that. "Community" as a concept extends beyond
     what we can see and touch.

     Sloetoe