[at-l] giardia

Recently I saw an advertizement for a pet care product called Giardiavax.
I think it is a prescription treatment that a vet has to give. As I
understand it, the product immunizes the pooch from the effect of the
giardia protozoa.

Has anyone heard of this stuff, is it actually effective? I didn't know
that dogs were affected (effected?) by giardia. Is it like anti-malaria
drugs for people.

If it actually works, I wonder if there is an anti-giardia drug in the
works for humans.

Hopeful