Re: [at-l] New Danger

> How cute do you suppose it is to those of us who have been the victims
> of racial violence, which is unfortunately what this murder was, not
> that it would have been any less horrible had an anglo racist attacked
> an anglo postal worker. Would it still be a cute joke to you if the
> subject were dead hikers of minority sexual orientation? Any way I look
> at it, there is nothing funny about murder.
>
> Best wishes,
> <Al Gomez>

OK Al, I'm going to take this one bit at a time.

First, I wrote my post publicly, and I therefore expect other people to react
publicly. So despite the notion that it is poor "netiquette" to respond publicly
to a private post, I will not allow myself to be held hostage by this notion.

Please, don't respond to this note piecemeal. Read through the whole thing
before you start flaming me. Thanks!

That said, I'm going to take this piece by piece.

> How cute do you suppose it is to those of us who have been the victims
> of racial violence, which is unfortunately what this murder was, not
> that it would have been any less horrible had an anglo racist attacked
> an anglo postal worker.

I didn't state that racial violence or any other type of violence was cute. I
wrote that I thought the joke was cute. It implies nothing about the recent
circumstances.

You know nothing about me. How would you know whether or not I have been a
victim of racial or any other type of violence? Why presume I do not know? What
else do you presume? Am I White? Catholic? Pagan? Gay? Canadian? Please be more
respectful in your assumptions.

I'm sorry you know the pain of racial violence. It obviously stirred you to
write to me. But please, don't for a minute feel that you are alone. Alas, this
is far from the truth.

> Would it still be a cute joke to you if the subject were dead hikers
> of minority sexual orientation?

I don't know. How does the joke go? Is there a reason I should be more sensitive
to jokes about dead gay/lesbian hikers than any other "group" dead or alive?

> Any way I look at it, there is nothing funny about murder.

How true. But jokes aren't just about a particular moment. They are about the
absurdity of life in all it's forms. About unrealized correlations.

You assumed the context, not the person who posted the joke nor myself. Possibly
because of the first response. And, just in case the person who I replied to was
serious I added a "pre-apology" for "accusing" them of not having a sense of
humor.

I don't think the world requires "joke police". If you don't find something
funny, fine. If the joke promotes ill will toward a particular racial or ethnic
or other group maybe having some discussion about the joke and it's
circumstances is reasonable. I think this joke, which wasn't even the point of
the post to which it was attached, falls way short of this line.

These types of jokes are *never* going away. Every culture on the planet has
words for "us and them". These jokes are just derivations. Who said only jokes
about "them" are funny?

And we're not immune. We have thru-hikers and section hikers. Boy scouts, and
day-hikers. Cyber-hikers and whatever. Horse people and RV people and
lightweight people and car-campers. Let's not be too judgemental. This PC'ness
is out of hand.

In this case it refered to the post office, and implied that someone will need
to be hired to replace someone else. It doesn't discuss why, or who, or when.
The USPS is filled with fine people from every walk of life. But it suffers from
the same problems as the rest of our society because of that.

That's an important phrase. "Walk of life". Let's get back to it.

Peace,

Daniel

PS  What's the difference between a pizza and a musician?

A pizza can feed a family of four. But seriously...