Subject: Re: [at-l] cleaning fuel bottles
Author:  "David  F. Addleton" <dfa@wimlaw.com> at ima
Date:    8/17/99 4:22 PM

>      What do *I* think?? DON'T DO IT!! The only thing that would happen
is
>      that you would deposit a light film of high carbon soot inside your
>      fuel bottle, soon to be desolved and put back into solution when you

>      add the next fuel.

As a kid I played with all manner of explosives, freely available. We tried
to keep things safe, but sometimes things got out of hand, but fortunately
not so much as to injure person or property. I'm sorry in this milieu that
kids don't have the same opportunity to experiement as I enjoyed.
     ****>>Me, too. Also BB guns, pellet guns, slingshots, and I also ran
     with sharp sticks in my hand, despite Mom's admonitions to the
     contrary. Still, I'd tell *my* kids not to now. But I also coached
     them recently on how to blow up bark chip houses with firecrackers.
     "Boom" needs to be in a healthy kid's vocabulary.

We designed several stage rockets with gun powder. We used gunpowder to
heat ball bearings which we then dropped in a bucket of water. The
resulting mini-explosion left no obvious metal particle and only a magnet
could recover some of the residue.
     ****>>When the ESTES rocket engines got boring in the ESTES rockets,
     we'd tape them in multistory towers to swamp reeds and launch them
     like bottle rockets. A little strontium for the red puffs, a little
     sodium for the yellow, a little copper for the green, cool stuff
     indeed....What made blue???

We put these little crystals of (do I remember correctly?) amonia and
potassium on toilet seats (let me suggest vaseline is better!), and set off
the crystals sometimes with magnified solar light. Both methods created this
purple colored smoke.
     ****>>I hate to ask what happened to the toilet seats...Magnifying
     glasses were great for chasing ants with "the alien death beam",
     weren't they? Oh, you didn't do that.....sorry.

As for "high carbon soot" wouldn't this consist in nanotubes and
buckeyballs among other carbon arrangements?
     ****>>But their attraction for one another is the difference between
     "soot" and a "slippery" powder like amorphous graphite, molybdenum
     disulfide, etc.

Which reminds me of when I tried to create an arc light. I took the carbon
from two batteries, sharpened each in a pencil sharpener, and set them in a
wooden stand with leads heading to a 220 volt ac source. Slowly pushed the
two sharpened carbon rods closer and closer together, failing to get an arc
... until they touched and we got this marvelous light and explosion that
left the stand and carbon in pieces, and blew open the fuse box, and
brought my mom screaming and yelling something about idiots.
     ****>> LOL here! Closest I came to something this adventurous was
     playing "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" with the hot water controls
     of our furnace...at age 5(?). Boy, that got a fun reaction.

>      Oh! The Humanity!

Hydrogen, now there's an idea. Have you ever seen hydrogen balloons explode
with a thrown match?? doesn't work with helium balloons.
     ****>>No, Helium won't do it, although it will make you talk funny.
     But in a similar vein, if you take the roll of caps out of your cap
     gun, pierce them one at a time with a straight pin, zig-zag stacking
     them on the pin until you've done the whole roll, then wrap the whole
     thing tightly with masking/duct tape, seal with wax, and after VERY
     CAREFULLY pulling the straight pin out, placing a fuse/wick where the
     pin was, you can creat a dandy explosive from a kid's toy.

Am I being irresponsible here?  I had a blast being a kid ...
     ****>>Sure you are. If my kid's did this, I'd be horrified. On the
     other hand, like blowing up barkchip houses, I just might show 'em. I
     definitely will do ESTES rockets with them, and will probably pack
     powders in the multistage separation charge to give us an added
     thrill. My friend Tommy Chern used to build these beautiful car
     models, and would then (somehow) get bored with them, load them full
     of gasoline, and roll them (with a slow fuse) down a hill near his
     house. Whoosh! Boom! Melt-melt-melt. What a riot! Tommy is now the
     controller/manager at a resort in the Florida Keys. Didn't seem to
     hurt either of us any.

     Also, let's not forget fire-building (legitimized "playing with
     fire"), whittling (legitimized playing with sharp objects), ax
     handling (legitimized destruction of living trees), pest control
     (legitimized playing with dangerous chemicals to specifically cause
     harm to other living things), and, perhaps most dear to this list,
     camping (legitimized avoidance of most rules of hygiene).

     So anyway, Mr. A, if I *were* to be so presumptuous as to propose a
     trail name for you, even if just for the limited purposes of at-l use,
     that name would be "Addled," as in "To confuse or muddle; to become
     rotten; to become confused; confused; rotten;" as it seems to draw
     into my mind the picture of some schoolmarm somewhere pointing a
     steely finger at you, eyebrow raised in indignance, intoning "MISS-ter
     AddleTON!!" at some point in your background. "Are you ADDLED, Mr.
     Addleton?" I can hear her asking right now.....

     Sloetoe