[at-l] Cleaning fuel bottles

I have a couple of questions on this topic.  Why is it necessary to "clean"
a fuel bottle if all you are going to do is replace white gas with denatured
alcohol or vise versa.  There is not enough residue in a dry bottle to make
any significant difference is there?  Don't they mix similar substances
sometimes in making car fuel?

I am speaking from a near total level of ignorance on this subject I will
grant you, but don't they use dry ice to force gasoline fumes from storage
tanks in order to work on them?