[at-l] Stephensons field report

OK, I used the Stephensons 2RSLD (yellow, more chartrouse I think, and
purple) yesterday on a little overnight canoe trip.  Here are some firest
field impressions after one real day of use.

This sucker is tiny for its size. I think it takes less space in my
backpack than the Kelty Clark I took on the AT earlier this year. It
certainly seems quite a bit lighter (as I recall the Kelty came in at
68oz. I've not weighed the Stephensons but unless they're bad about
weights too it should weigh 54oz, plus a couple ounces for the stakes, so
maybe 56-57oz) than the Clark. Honestly, hefting both it feels like the
Stephensons is more than 10 ounces lighter. I haven't gotten the tyvek
for a ground cloth yet so I used an old, heavy and huge plastic one I had
lieing around. That doesn't count as part of a real world test.

Set up was quite easy. Took me about 5 minutes and I had only done it a
couple times before in my yard so I consider this quite good. While the
outer shell the tents shows to the world looked great I did have some
sagging inside. I haven't figured out how to tension things so the inside
walls don't sag quite as much (hints welcomed). The sag didn't cause me
any trouble and it doesn't detract from the spaciousness of the tent, but
it doesn't look as cool inside as I think it should..;).

I tied off one window to two hiking sticks and that seemed to work
alright. The view was pretty good, but it could have been better. Gotta
work on tensioning the light line better. The other window shade I had
lieing on the tent and that made for a big view (I did zip the inner
window part of that up when I went to bed, but left the other window open.

Warmth. I was quite toasty. I believe the evening tempurature was in the
mid 40s. I realize that my toastiness is, in large, measure, a feature of
my sleeping bag but the tent never felt cold even when I was out of the
bag.

I had amply room by the door to sit up and do things and there certainly
is plenty of wiggle room in there. Ventilation was superb and I had no
condensation anywhere either from the ground or from me.

I definitely will have to make some treads to prevent slippage. I noticed
when I awoke this morning that my pad was no longer nice and straight but
was angled towards the back-left of the tent. On a slope clearly things
would slip more (and it might have slipped more except for the fact that
my backpack was down by my feet - that, by the way, didn't seem to impede
air flow from the foot vent).

Cuteness factor: high. My friends thought the tent was quite cool and
cute. We all thought the way the firelight made the ends glow was
fascinating. I got the bright ends so that I would be able to find my
tent in the dark after those inevitable privvy or whatever trips.
Clearly, that decision will pay off.

I did not time tthe packing up process but I think it went pretty
quickly. Remove the stakes, then the poles from the sleeves, tuck the
tent ends in a bit, fold in half lengthywide, fold end-to-end, then
lengthwise, put the poles on top and roll the thing up (that's how I did
it the first time before I read the Stephenson directions and I think
they suggest the same basic approach).  The tent slips easily into the
stuff sack (I wish my sleeping bag and especially my therm-a-rest were as
easy to put into their sacs).

Oh, the canoe overnight with schmoozing around a campfire until 01:30 was
a lot of fun. The drunken campers at the same canoe campsite were quiet
drunks so that did not bother us. Even their two VERY BRIGHT camp
lanterns did not bother me too much (I was worreid that they would keep
me up since they made the inside of my tent quite bright, but that wasn't
a problem).

  ** Ken **

**        krk@home.msen.com           http://home.msen.com/~krk     **