Re: [at-l] vermin in the night

     I'm usually a chuckler, GMC, but this one got a LOL from me!

Subject: [at-l] vermin in the night
Author:  Pat Villeneuve <patv@falcon.cc.ukans.edu> at ima
Date:    8/12/99 9:06 PM

David Addleton wrote:
>Sometimes your ears at night or near morning can hear rustling nearby
>...usually we attribute such things to harmless mice or other vermin,
>keeping a pot nearby to scare 'em off, but I suggest you wake up and
>use your eyes before you try this technique: it could be a skunk.

Reminds me of a story...I had a long day hiking to Pickle Branch Shelter
in central VA. As WF indicates, the blue blaze (to the shelter) is
endless. I decided to pitch in the orchard. I crawled in exhausted at
dusk. Almost instantly the whippoorwill chorus-in-training cranked up,
and I heard a scratching on the side of my tent by my left shoulder. I
know this should have brought me back to life, but, really, I didn't want
to be bothered. I decided to ignore it. Ha! A few seconds later, "it" was
burrowing under my tent, hoisting first my elbow and then my shoulder. It
was time for action! Without thinking, I rolled to my other side and came
down with my elbow: <blam, blam.> On my way towards the third blow, it
occurred to me that it could be a skunk or a porky. Yikes! Needless to
say, blow #3 was pretty feeble, but "it" retreated, and I immediately
passed out--despite the pathetic birds who could not get their own name
right in their call.

Give Me Chocolate