Re: [at-l] vermin in the night

> Reminds me of a story...I had a long day hiking to Pickle Branch Shelter
> in central VA. As WF indicates, the blue blaze (to the shelter) is
> endless. I decided to pitch in the orchard. I crawled in exhausted at
> dusk. Almost instantly the whippoorwill chorus-in-training cranked up,
> and I heard a scratching on the side of my tent by my left shoulder. I
> know this should have brought me back to life, but, really, I didn't
> want to be bothered. I decided to ignore it. Ha! A few seconds later,
> "it" was burrowing under my tent, hoisting first my elbow and then my
> shoulder. It was time for action! Without thinking, I rolled to my other
> side and came down with my elbow: <blam, blam.> On my way towards the
> third blow, it occurred to me that it could be a skunk or a porky.
> Yikes! Needless to say, blow #3 was pretty feeble, but "it" retreated,
> and I immediately passed out--despite the pathetic birds who could not
> get their own name right in their call.

Reminds me of one, too: I woke up to sounds of something going through my
things. I was sleeping on the ground for the first time in ages, in a state
park that forbade me using my hammock. I may have moved my legs a bit
toward the sound before I opened my eyes and found this skunk trying to get
into some dehydrated food. Talk about confusion. I was frozen, just
watching it have its way with my things. I didn't want to make a noise for
fear of the skunk, but eventually I did and it finally walked off, tail and
head held high, but no spray, thank god.