Re: [at-l] Danger

> > a woman to hike the trail by herself?  My parents are starting to
> get on
> > my case about hiking it next year by myself.  I would appreciate

 Fear often comes out of lack of knowlege.  The solution is to educate!
One book that made my family feel better about the whole thing was
_Appalachian Adventure_. This book shows how the trail is truly eveyone's
trail. Everyone from college students to families to senior citizens
enjoying what is a crown jewel in America's outdoor experiences.   When
my family realised how many people, from all l walks of life, used the
trail..they felt much better.

    The various online journals also might help your parents feel better
about your trip. When they read about someone about your age and with
your background, some of their fears may be lessened.
         Finally,. more than one set of parents has attended the ALDHA
Gathering with their child. Meeting people who actually hike tends to
make families feel that much better.

   As a side note...you can try my method: inherit a strong stubborn
streak  , and do it anyways. ;-)