[at-l] vermin in the night

David Addleton wrote:
>Sometimes your ears at night or near morning can hear rustling nearby
>...usually we attribute such things to harmless mice or other vermin,
>keeping a pot nearby to scare 'em off, but I suggest you wake up and
>use your eyes before you try this technique: it could be a skunk.

Reminds me of a story...I had a long day hiking to Pickle Branch Shelter
in central VA. As WF indicates, the blue blaze (to the shelter) is
endless. I decided to pitch in the orchard. I crawled in exhausted at
dusk. Almost instantly the whippoorwill chorus-in-training cranked up,
and I heard a scratching on the side of my tent by my left shoulder. I
know this should have brought me back to life, but, really, I didn't
want to be bothered. I decided to ignore it. Ha! A few seconds later,
"it" was burrowing under my tent, hoisting first my elbow and then my
shoulder. It was time for action! Without thinking, I rolled to my other
side and came down with my elbow: <blam, blam.> On my way towards the
third blow, it occurred to me that it could be a skunk or a porky.
Yikes! Needless to say, blow #3 was pretty feeble, but "it" retreated,
and I immediately passed out--despite the pathetic birds who could not
get their own name right in their call.

Give Me Chocolate