[at-l] Nomad or Tarp

 The Nomad looks great to me, too.  I know
this is a very subjective matter, but do you think that two medium-sized
people could fit in it?  My boyfriend and I are contemplating a
thru-hike next year, and we really want to go as light as possible (who
doesn't?).  He's 5'10" and I'm 5'2".

I know, I know, we should tarp, but I'm a little squeamish about
creepy-crawlies.

--Jennifer

I have a Nomad and used it maybe 6 times during the 2 1/2 months I spent on
the AT this year.  There usually was room in the shelters or just sleeping
under the stars was done the other times.   The Nomad is a great tent and
at 24 ozs, I have one of the first models, I didn't mind carrying it and
hardly using it due to its lightweight.  As far as 2 people using it ALL
the time I don't think so.  You'll have far more room under a 8'x10' tarp
with a piece of noseeum netting laying over you and it will weight less
than a Nomad tent.
Like you I was squeamish about creepy-crawlies but after a few weeks on the
trail I didn't even think about them.  More than once the mice would be
real active during the night and I'ld sleep right through it.  Being a
sound sleeper helped in this department.  During the first several weeks I
was a lite sleeper and stirred for everthing.  My concerns were eased as
time went by I believe your will also?
Have a great hike.
John O
http://www.monmouth.com/~johno/index.html