RE: [at-l] Hiking Poles/Sticks

Yep.  Hands at half-mast, so to speak, have a better chance of returning
fluids up the arm than hands just hanging down there.  Also, using arms to
hike with poles pumps the fluids around which helps reduce pooling some
more.  Ergometrics tells us to put the pole height where your arm will
naturally bend at a neat right angle to your bod.  That varies with
uphill/downhill, but so does everything else.

Anybody else wear bifocals?  Ever have fun figuring just exactly where
"down" ends?  The effect is worse with graduated bifocals like mine.  A pole
tip is a tidy depth finder on the downhills.

As for exercise, not only is there the upper body workout while hiking,
there's all the bending over to pick up the suckers when they fall over
(just when you thought you dug 'em in good) and the hiking back to the
shelter to get 'em off the nail you left them on last night.  Or is that
just me?