Re: [at-l] Hiking Poles/Sticks

Hi Lynn

I will swear by two poles/sticks!  I happen to have the adjustable kind,
from Traks, I think.  They don't have shock absorbers or anything.  I have
bad knees and these things really help, esp on the down hills.  I particularly
like them for balance when I'm tired, and for probing those puddles to make
sure the rock you're about to step on is stable -- not that puddles have been
a problem this year.  Also good for approaching dogs....

Having said all that, I would suppose that any two sticks of the right length
(and you'll have to play with that to see what works for you) would be just
as helpful.  I like the ski pole grip with straps cuz you don't have to grip
the pole handle really, just swing it in your hand.  SOme folks don't like
having
both hands tied up that way, hard to get to a water bottle, etc.  But I use a
Camelback, so that's not an issue for me.

I wouldn't think of hiking without them now.... I have seen a lot of people
using ski poles - and you can get some old ones at garage sales for a couple
bucks.  I have the adjustments for length, but I don't ever change it really.

Best luck!

Sharon