[at-l] Power Foods for Backpacking

What do you consider the best energy and nutrition source on the trail for the weight?
How do dates stack up?
My favorite dates are Medjool dates and here is the nutritional value given for them from a growers' association:

Serving Size 2 to 3 dates (40g)
Calories 120
Calories from fat 0
% Daily Value
Total Fat 0g 0%
Saturated Fat 0g 0%
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 0mg 0%
Total Carbohydrate 31g 2%
Dietary Fiber 3g 12%
Sugars 29g --
Protein 1g --
Potassium .57g 12%
Vitamin A 10%
Vitamin C 10%
Calcium 2%
Iron 2%

For comparison, here's the advertised nutritional values for chocolate power gels, my favorite flavor:

41g pkg
Calories 120
Fat Calories 15
Total Fat 1.5g 2%
Sat Fat 1.0g 5%
Sodium 50mg 2%
Potassium 40 mg 1%
Total Carb 28g 9%
Fiber 0g 0%
Sugars 7 g
Protein 0g
Vitamin C 15%
Vitamin E 15%

At about $7 per pound, you'll get around a dozen or more servings from the larger sized Medjool.  For the buck, I think I'll stick with dates.

Comments, ideas?